Friday, September 4, 2009

8 months ago...

Back in January I went to The World Missions Summit. I think that's where I really felt the call to do something in the missions field. We had a guest speaker one night at Chi Alpha who had gone the the previous Summit and she was talking about how all these doors opened up for her and she was able to get out on the field right away. I thought it was all kind of cheesy. Kind of the one in a million story with the perfect ending. Of course not everyone's experience ends up that way - her's probably didn't either, she's just trying to get me to go.

Well, God once again took that opportunity to show me how little faith I have. My story has pretty much ended the same, except the 'going' part. As soon as I got back to South Dakota after TWMS, I was connected. I'm not kidding you, the next day I went to church and I was talking with a lady who's granddaughter was a doctor in Africa. She took down my name and email and said she'd get in touch with me. Then I went back to Idaho and nothing really happened. After the school year ended, I came back and within the same week I was offered an opportunity to teach African children/teenagers how to speak English. Within the same month I was able to sit down with a missionary to Africa. She shared her wisdom and experience with me. Within the same season I was prayed for by the pastor of our church, asking for courage and guidance. While all of this is happening, I was connecting with a YWAM base in Canada, getting all the details worked out & the final paper work was ready to go. I was introduced to Campus Crusade for Christ & saw into their plan for missions. I was introduced to missions from 2 other organizations.

Now, not even a year later, I have talked with many other people about their mission experience. Many of which have worked directly with human trafficking. One who had lost her daughter in a car accident while she was serving God in Africa. Currently, her and her team are praying for me and getting me connected with short term mission trips to Ethiopia.

WOW. It amazes me that God knows what He's doing. How all the little pieces of your life fit together. And every single time we wonder "Oh God, why are you letting this happen to me?" but in the midst of it all, it never occurs to us that He has a greater plan for us. Hindsight is 20/20.

All of these events took place in South Dakota. I didn't realize it then, but while I was in Idaho, I wasn't connected. I was preparing to be connected, which was okay with me. I was taking things at the pace I wanted them to be. As soon as I step foot on SD land, it feels like I'm immersed in opportunities. That has a lot to do with why God led me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment